The RFID for NS-2 module was developed by Rafael Perazzo Barbosa Mota, member of the Computational Systems research group, Institute of Mathematics and Statistics (IME), University of São Paulo (USP), Brazil. This module is a free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Public License Version 1 or (at your option) any later version.
I invite users and developers to contact me to report any bug and to give suggestions for future versions.
Ns is a discrete event simulator targeted at networking research. Ns provides substantial support for simulation of TCP, routing, and multicast protocols over wired and wireless (local and satellite) networks [Text from ns-2 official page]. This project implements a RFID module based on the EPCTM Radio-Frequency Identity Protocols Class-1 Generation-2 UHF RFID Protocol for Communications at 860 MHz ? 960 MHz Version 1.2.0(25/10/2008)standard for the ns-2 simulator, release 2.35. The focus of this implementation is the Network layer and its mechanisms for anti-collision.
Results obtained in a simulation with the module were compared with the simulation results presented in the paper:
Namboodiri, Vinod, et al. "An extensive study of slotted Aloha-based RFID anti-collision protocols." Computer Communications (2012), Volume 35, Issue 36, 15 September 2012, pages 1955--1966.
and can be shown bellow*
* The paper values are not exact. Until now the authors did not provide the table that generated the curve. The points were estimated by linear interpolation assuming that the points bellow are correct.
(50,160) and (500,1500)
These are the features of the RFID ns-2 module:
- RFID readers and tags nodes;
- Q algorithm anti-collision mechanism;
- Trace file including all nodes identification, time and identified collisions;
- QoS mechanism for use in Internet of Things (IoT) scenarios.
- Configurable variables: Q initial value; Constant c; type of service (tracking is the only service implemented until now); Nodes ID.
- MAC layer based on ns-2 mac (mac.cc).
To install the module, follow the instructions below:
- Download the software ns-allinone-2.35 package
- Download the latest ns-2 RFID module source code from github.
- Unzip the ns-2 RFID module source code file inside ns-allinone-2.35 folder.
- Go to the ns-allinone-2.35/ns-2.35 directory and execute "./configure", "make clean" and "make".
- If you have root privileges execute "make install".
Bellow you will find a video showing the installation of the module
RFID ns-2 module Download